I have reams of 0s and 1s in which my life is played out in 2003-2004. I will treasure them fiercely but privately. Here is the ending bit of punctuation- a poem I wrote the last quarter of 2004:
Howling at the Moon
The Moon slips in silence
to my window each night
to tell me a silver story,
each a memory of you.
Tho' she whispers them
dark and cool in my ear,
they burn like white fire...
Hhhoooooooooooowwwlll
The Moon slips in silence
to my window each night
to tell me a silver story,
each a memory of you.
Tho' she whispers them
dark and cool in my ear,
they burn like white fire...
Hhhoooooooooooowwwlll
I spent that last quarter of 2004 constructively but frantically busy, reeling with the loss but unable to face it head on. There are two things I've found that I can do no matter my state or the state of the world: learn and code pages. I have pulled a quote from AK Freezer Guy's blog:
"The best thing for being sad," replied Merlyn, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then--to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing that the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting."
--T. H. White
I have had the opportunity to combine learning and page coding these last months- what began as perhaps a survival strategy is fast becoming the foundation of a new career, a conduit for meeting people (and I have made a couple of friends along the way), and something I'm finding myself doing just for the love of it.
"The best thing for being sad," replied Merlyn, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then--to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing that the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting."
--T. H. White
I have had the opportunity to combine learning and page coding these last months- what began as perhaps a survival strategy is fast becoming the foundation of a new career, a conduit for meeting people (and I have made a couple of friends along the way), and something I'm finding myself doing just for the love of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment