The new moon is just about here. I took a trip to the U.S. Naval Observatory web site and grabbed a couple of links.
The USNO current Moon phase page is a larger version of the display you see here if you have JavaScript enabled. Their image is recreated many times per day so that it always represents the current appearance of the Moon. The image is simulated, but on a grand scale.
The page titled Phases of the Moon and Percent of the Moon Illuminated is basically a Moon Phase FAQ. The Lunation Movies at the bottom are an absolute must-see!
The USNO uses a lot of António Cidadão's images. His site Lunar and Planetary Observation and CCD Imaging is definitely worth a visit. While much of the site is under construction, what is there makes me want to check back to see what will be added. His CCD Images of the Moon will blow your mind...
For more great Moon images and links, visit one of my previous entries, the night sky.
edited Feb. 7 11:04 AM to add:
You may have noticed that I replaced the Moon Phases section to the right with a quote- not because I wanted to. I have contacted the Moon Phases site to see if they will be back up.
edited Feb. 9 10:34 PM to add:
It's back up!
The USNO current Moon phase page is a larger version of the display you see here if you have JavaScript enabled. Their image is recreated many times per day so that it always represents the current appearance of the Moon. The image is simulated, but on a grand scale.
The page titled Phases of the Moon and Percent of the Moon Illuminated is basically a Moon Phase FAQ. The Lunation Movies at the bottom are an absolute must-see!
The USNO uses a lot of António Cidadão's images. His site Lunar and Planetary Observation and CCD Imaging is definitely worth a visit. While much of the site is under construction, what is there makes me want to check back to see what will be added. His CCD Images of the Moon will blow your mind...
For more great Moon images and links, visit one of my previous entries, the night sky.
edited Feb. 7 11:04 AM to add:
You may have noticed that I replaced the Moon Phases section to the right with a quote- not because I wanted to. I have contacted the Moon Phases site to see if they will be back up.
edited Feb. 9 10:34 PM to add:
It's back up!
1 comment:
That moon phase thing was a nice feature. I hope it comes back. I like it much better than the one you have a link to (USNO).
It was fun playing. Good Night!
anonymous. lol
Post a Comment